Wow, isn’t this sunshine just glorious! Summer has officially arrived in England and our barbeque has been on overdrive. Let’s hope it’s planning to stay around as I have a lot of summer treats in store for you, starting with this tandoori chicken beauty! The only thing to remember with this is to plan ahead, as the longer you marinate the chicken for the better it is. I also found an alternative to red food colouring (because no one needs added e-numbers) in the form of a little added beetroot; it worked a treat and tasted delicious! I can’t chat for too long about this dish (as much as I would love to), as I need to get tonight’s barbie on the go; it’s just non-stop alfresco in our house right now!
Makes 3 large kebabs
For the marinade
- ½ cooked beetroot – blended until smooth
- 1 thumb size piece ginger – peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder – spice to taste but I like mine hot!
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 heap tbsp. low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 250g chicken – cut into good sized chunks
For the Skewers
- 3 large kebab skewers – if you’re using wooden ones then leave to soak in a long glass of water over night
- 1 yellow pepper – cut into square chunks
- 1 courgettes – sliced into rounds under 1cm thick
- 1 red onion –cut into quarters and broken
Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade and smother the chicken in it.
Cover and chill in the fridge overnight.
Heat a barbeque to a medium temperature
Skewer the chicken and the vegetables onto the kebab sticks
Cook on the barbeque, turning regularly for around 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables charred.
Serve with plenty of salad, pitas and minty yoghurt dressing.