We always end up with left-overs when we do a roast and I love creating meals from them, and this casserole is a great example of this. The chicken was also used for a great sandwich with mayonnaise and crunchy cos lettuce and also some egg fried chicken rice. When you think about it, a roast is very cost effective, for the one chicken we got 9 meals from it!
– 1 red onion
– Olive oil – for frying
– 1 courgette – roughly chopped
– 2 yellow peppers – sliced
– 1 chilli – finely chopped
– ½ leek – roughly chopped
– 1 stalk celery – thinly sliced
– 220g roast chicken
– 50g chorizo
– Leftover sauce and stuffing from the roast
– 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
– 1 tbsp spoon homemade roasted red pepper and chilli sauce
– 200ml chicken stock
– ½ tsp hot paprika
– Small handful fresh thyme
– 2 tbsp tomato puree
Fry the onions and the chorizo in a splash of olive oil until the onion is soft
Add the rest of the vegetables and stir well – fry for a few minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then cook in the oven for at least an hour, if not 2. The longer it cooks the better it tastes.
Serve with cous cous and rice.